In this guide, we will show you how to check NHIF status in Kenya in five different ways on your phone and on the web.
You can check your NHIF status easily on your phone using the USSD code *155#, SMS shortcode 21101 or using myNHIF mobile app. Alternatively, you can use the NHIF self-care portal or via email.
Checking your NHIF status will help you stay up to date with your contributions and avoid any penalties or disruptions in your access to healthcare services.
How to Check NHIF Status Online – NHIF Portal
Follow these steps to check your NHIF status via the NHIF self-care Portal
- Open your web browser and go to NHIF self-care portal
- If you are a registered member, enter your National ID, then click the “Get One Time Pin” button
- You’ll receive a One-Time Password (OTP) via SMS on your phone
- Enter the 4-digit OTP and you will be redirected to your NHIF dashboard
- On your account dashboard, you will view your NHIF penalties and arrears, last contributions, your activation status, and your current outpatient facility which you can easily change to another outpatient facility.
- Once you’re done, you can log out of your account.
How to Check NHIF Status Via SMS
How to check your NHIF status via SMS:
- Open the message app on your phone
- Compose a new SMS
- Type the letters “ID,” space, and then type your ID or passport number i.e., ID 45045010
- Send the SMS to 21101. This service will charge you Kshs 10 in airtime.
You will receive an SMS shortly with your name, NHIF membership number, ID number, year of birth, last contributions, outpatient facility, and dependants.
How to Check NHIF Status via USSD Code *155#
Follow the steps below:
- Dial the USSD Code *155# from your Safaricom Line
- Select your language (for me I chose English – Option 1)
- Select National Health Scheme (Option 1)
- Enter your National ID
- Request for OTP and then key in the OTP sent to your phone
- Select My Status (Option 6)
- You will receive your account details with your name, NHIF membership number, ID number, year of birth, NHIF account status, last contributions, outpatient facility, and dependants.
Check Your NHIF Status Using MyNHIF Mobile App
Here is how to check your NHIF status using the MyNHIF mobile app:
- First download the MyNHIF mobile app from the Google Play Store
- Install and Tap on the “Other Services” Button
- Enter your National ID Number, then tap “Request OTP”.
- Enter the OTP and verify to log in to your dashboard
- Tap on the “Payment & Status” button
With the mobile app, you can check your NHIF penalties and arrears. You can check your current outpatient facility and also be able to change your outpatient facility.
How to Check Your NHIF Status Via Email
Another way to check your NHIF status is by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your National ID. You will receive a PDF statement with all your NHIF details and status. This method may take a couple of days to get a response.
What is the USSD code for checking NHIF status?
Dial *155# to check your NHIF status
How long does it take for NHIF to be active?
You cannot use the NHIF services immediately after registering. For voluntary and self-employed individuals, it takes 60 days from the date of payment for your NHIF account to be active. For those in formal employment, it takes 30 days to access all NHIF benefits.
How much does it cost to check if NHIF is active?
If you check your NHIF status via SMS shortcode 21101, the service will cost you Kshs 10 in airtime.
Also, read how to pay for your NHIF penalty via MPESA
What are the Requirements for Registration as NHIF Member?
1. National ID Card of principal member and spouse.
2. Colour Passport size photo for each beneficiary.
3. Birth Certificate for kids above 6 months or Birth notification for those 6 months and below
4. Introduction letter on company letterhead from an employer if registering as an employee.
5. Foreign national registration certificate (alien card) or work permit for the applicant and spouse
Check Your NHIF Status
Maintain an active NHIF status to ensure that you and your family can access affordable and quality healthcare services whenever you need them.