Watch Netflix without leaving your chair! Learn how to pay Netflix via MPESA in Kenya with our step-by-step guide.
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services in Kenya and worldwide, offering a vast library of movies, TV shows, and documentaries.
With the popularity of online streaming services like Netflix on the rise, MPESA provides a safe, fast, and reliable way for Kenyans to enjoy their favorite movies and TV shows. Safaricom recently partnered with Visa to introduce the MPESA Virtual Visa Card, which you can use to pay for Netflix plans in Kenya.
How to Pay Netflix via MPESA
The MPESA Virtual Visa card has made it very convenient for Kenyans to make international payments without needing a physical card or even a bank account. So if you haven’t created your MPESA Visa card, you can create one in a few steps by following our guide on how to create and use the MPESA Visa card for international payments such as Ali Express, Alibaba, Amazon, and Netflix.
If you already have an active MPESA visa card, follow these steps to pay Netflix via MPESA in Kenya:
- Log in to your Netflix account
- Click on your profile icon (top right corner) and select “account” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Upgrade” button
- Select the “See the Plans” button
- Select your preferred plan – Either Mobile, Basic, Standard, or Premium.
- Choose how to pay (Credit or Debit Card)
- Enter your name as registered with MPESA
- Enter your MPESA Virtual Visa Card details (16 Digits)
- Agree to the terms and conditions, then click the red “Start Paid Membership” button.
- Your payment will be processed, and you will receive an SMS confirmation.
The selected Netflix plan amount will automatically be deducted from your MPESA wallet. The payment will not be processed if your MPESA wallet has insufficient funds. Additionally, if you have an insufficient balance in your MPESA wallet, your Fuliza balance will not be utilized.
Additionally, you can “enable repeat payments” feature on your card for future automatic deductions from your MPESA wallet, such as Netflix subscription payments. This will ensure you enjoy uninterrupted streaming services.
Also, read: How to Pay for Showmax via MPESA in Kenya
How to Deactivate MPESA Visa Card
You can easily deactivate your MPESA Virtual Visa card on the MPESA app. Log in to the app, select Global Pay, and then tap on Suspend Card.
Alternatively, you can suspend your MPESA Virtual Visa card using the USSD code *334#. Here is how to go about it:
- Dial *334# on your registered Safaricom line
- Select Lipa na MPESA
- Select GlobalPay
- Select Manage Card
- Select either Suspend (Option 1) or Opt-Out (option 4)
- Choose the reason for suspending the card
- Key in your MPesa PIN and send
You will receive a notification SMS from GlobalPay confirming the suspension of your card. With the card suspended, you will not be able to make repeat payments and other global payments using the card
How to Cancel Your Netflix Subscription Plan
Here is how to cancel your Netflix subscription:
1. Log in to your Netflix account
2. Go to the account dashboard
3. Click cancel membership, and then finish cancellation.
Your account cancellation will be effective immediately.
What is the Most Expensive Netflix Package in Kenya?
Netflix adjusted the pricing for its services in Kenya and Sub-Saharan Africa in a bid to attract more customers who found the platform pricing to be expensive. With the price cuts, the most expensive Netflix package in Kenya now costs Kshs 1,100 per month down from the previous price of Kshs 1,450 per month.
Also, read our guide on the new Netflix packages and prices in Kenya.
How Much is the Netflix Subscription in Kenya?
Mobile plan: Kshs 200 per month
Basic plan: Kshs 300 per month
Standard plan: Kshs 700 per month
Premium plan: Kshs 1,100 per month
How do I subscribe to Netflix from Kenya?
1. Sign up for an account by visiting www.netflix.com on your browser
2. Choose your preferred Netflix package
3. Select the payment method
4. Enter your payment details – MPESA Visa card as described above
5. Agree to the terms and conditions, then start your Paid Membership.
Pay for Netflix Using MPESA Visa Card
By following the steps outlined above, you will securely pay Netflix via MPESA and enjoy watching your binge-worthy TV series, favorite movies, shows, documentaries, and other quality content on Netflix in your house.
Related: How to Pay Gotv via MPESA in Kenya