Knowing how to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA can save you a lot of time and hassle. Sending money between mobile money services is becoming more common as people look for convenient ways to transact.
Airtel Money and MPESA are two popular mobile money services in Africa, and being able to transfer money between them can be very beneficial for users. If you have money in your Airtel Money account and need to send it to someone who uses MPESA, you may be wondering how to do it.
In this article, we’ll guide you on how to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA. We’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions, including screenshots, so you can easily follow along.
Related: How to Buy Airtel Airtime from MPESA
How to Send Money From Airtel Money to MPESA
Whether you’re new to mobile money services or an experienced user, this guide will help you transfer money between Airtel Money and MPESA with ease. So let’s get started and learn how to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA.
There are three ways to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA in Kenya. These methods are:
- Using the Airtel Sim Tool kit
- Using the USSD code *222#
- Sending Money via the myAirtel App.
Let’s dive in and learn how to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA in Kenya using the three above methods.
Method 1: Using Airtel Sim Toolkit
This is probably the most used method of the three methods. Here’s how to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA using the Airtel Sim Tool kit:
- Open the Airtel Sim Toolkit
- Select Airtel Money
- Then choose “Send Money”
- Select send to MPESA
- Enter the Safaricom phone number
- Key in the Amount you want to send
- Enter your Airtel Money Pin and Send
You’ll receive a message from Airtel Money confirming that the transaction has been processed successfully.
Method 2: Using USSD Code *222#
One of the easiest ways to access the Airtel Money menu is by dialing the USSD code *222# on your Airtel line. Here are the steps on how to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA using the USSD code *222#:
- Dial *222# on your Airtel Line
- Choose Send Money (Option 4)
- Select send to MPESA (Option 2)
- Select Enter Phone Number ( Option 1)
- Key in the recipient’s mobile number
- Enter the amount to send
- Enter your Airtel Money pin to confirm and then send
Method 3: Using Airtel App
- Then install the app and sign in using your Airtel number.
- Open the app and tap on the Airtel Money icon at the bottom
- Select Send Money
- Enter the recipient’s Safaricom number. After entering the number, the recipient name and Operator name will load and be displayed automatically.
- Enter the amount to send, then click the Proceed button.
- Verify the correct transaction details and press Confirm
Your transaction will be processed successfully.
Airtel Money to MPESA Charges
The table below is a breakdown of how much it costs to send money from Airtel Money to MPESA in 2023:
|Transaction Bands (KES)||Transfer to MPESA Charges (KES)|
|10 – 49||0|
|50 – 100||0|
|101 – 500||6|
|501 – 1,000||10|
|1,001 – 2,500||20|
|2,501 – 5,000||50|
|5,001 – 10,000||75|
|10,001 – 25,000||90|
|25,001 – 35,000||100|
|35,001 – 45,000||105|
|45,001 – 70,000||105|
|70,001 – 150,000||105|
Take note of the following:
- The maximum amount you can hold in your Airtel Money wallet is KES 300,000
- You will be required to produce an original national ID or Kenyan Passport to transact at any Airtel Money Agent outlet.
Airtel Money Transaction Limits
Airtel Kenya waived all person-to-person transaction fees for Airtel Money customers across all the bands. Additionally, Airtel in collaboration with the Central Bank of Kenya revised the transaction limits for Airtel Money to support the SMEs and micro business enterprises. Here are the updated transaction limits for Airtel Money:
- The maximum amount per transaction for Airtel Money has been increased from Ksh. 70,000 to Ksh. 150,000
- The daily limit for mobile money transactions from Ksh. 140,000 to Ksh. 300,000
- Airtel Money account balance limit increased from Ksh. 140,000 to Ksh. 300,000
- The current tariff for mobile money transactions of Ksh.70,000 will apply for transactions up to Ksh. 150,000
- Charges waived for transfers from Airtel Money account to bank accounts.
Can you send money from Airtel Money to MPESA?
Yes. You can easily send money from Airtel Money to MPESA in Kenya by using the USSD code *222#, Airtel Sim Toolkit, or using the myAirtel mobile app.
How can I get the Airtel Money Menu?
You can get the Airtel Money Menu by dialing *222# on your Airtel line, using the Airtel Sim Toolkit, or using the myAirtel mobile app.
What is the code for Airtel Money Kenya?
You can access Airtel Money in Kenya by dialing the USSD code *222# on your Airtel line.
Also read: How to Buy Airtel Airtime from MPESA