I have compiled a list of the ten best providers of boda boda loans in Kenya to help you choose the best motorbikes loan provider matching your financial needs. Let’s get into it.
Boda boda is a popular means of transportation in Kenya, especially in rural areas. Many people rely on boda bodas to move around, transport goods, and even access medical care. However, owning a boda boda can be expensive, and many cannot afford to buy one outright. This is where boda boda loans come in handy.
There are several providers of boda boda loans in Kenya, but not all offer favourable terms and conditions. In this article, we will highlight the ten best providers of boda boda loans in Kenya to help you choose the best according to your needs.
Some of the best providers of boda boda loans in Kenya include:
- Watu Credit
- KCB Bank Kenya
- Progressive Credit
- Mwananchi Credit
- Pioneer Credit
- Bimas Kenya Limited
- Ndege Chai Sacco
- Capital Sacco Limited
- JoyInc Solutions Limited
That said, let’s take an in-depth look into each of the above providers to help you select the best according to your financial needs.
Also, read: Watu Credit Motorbikes Prices and Loans 2023
List of the Best Providers of Boda Boda Loans in Kenya
1. Watu Africa
Watu Africa, or Watu Credit, as it is famously referred to, is one of the leading providers of boda boda loans in Kenya. They offer a range of flexible and affordable boda boda and tuk-tuk loans to aspiring business owners. You can acquire a motorbike or a tuk-tuk for personal or commercial use.
- Application processed in a few hours – Apply and get a motorbike or tuk-tuk in 2 hours only
- Flexible repayment terms – You can choose to pay back the loan over a period of 12 to 24 months.
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Original National ID – for the borrower and 1 Guarantor.
- 1 Guarantor – aged between 20 years and 65 years
- Two referees – 18 years and above
- Minimum Deposit of KES 20,000 for Motorcycle financing or KES 50,000 for Tuk-tuk financing.
- M-Pesa registered Safaricom phone number – must have been in use for the last 6 months
How to Contact Watu Credit Limited: Call 0790 000 999/0709 739 000. You can also visit your nearest Watu Credit branches countrywide.
You can pay for your Watu Credit Loan via MPESA on a daily or weekly basis depending on your payment terms.
Related: How to Pay Watu Credit Loan
Mogo Kenya is a subsidiary of the Eleving Group, an international FinTech company operating in 15 countries across Europe, Asia, and Africa. Mogo provides affordable financing options for used cars, logbook loans, boda boda, and Tuk Tuk loans.
They have a wide variety of motorbikes to select from. They include Bajaj Boxer, TVS, Honda, Haojin, Sonlink, Haojue, Ranger, Captain, Kifaru, Tiger, Dayun, Yamaha, Evalast, Skygo, Lifan, Shineray, Jincheng, etc. They have several branches countrywide and have partnered with several authorized dealers.
- Make a down payment of only KES 25,000 on any motorbike model.
- Daily payments start from as little as KES 364.
- Submit the application and get a motorbike in 2 hours.
- Become the legal owner of a motorbike after a 52 to 112 weeks repayment plan, depending on your preference.
To get a boda boda financing, you must meet the following requirements:
- Provide a 6-months M-PESA statement
- Provide National ID
- Copy of KRA Pin Certificate
- Be 23 – 65 years old
- Have 1 guarantor
- Make a KES 25,000 down payment
How to contact Mogo: Call or WhatsApp 0768469112
3. KCB Bank Kenya
Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) is one of the oldest and largest commercial banks in Kenya with its headquarters at Kencom House, Nairobi. KCB bank offers asset financing up to 70% on boda boda or Tuk-tuk and boasts itself as one of the most reputable banks and providers of boda boda loans in Kenya. They also have various loan products for different individual clients or businesses.
- Flexible payment terms of up to 24 months for tuk-tuks and 12 months for boda boda.
- Comprehensive insurance cover of KES 9,600 for boda boda and KES 15,000 per annum for tuk-tuks.
- Friendly financing terms – KCB Bank to finance up to 70% of the motorbike cost while the customer is to meet 30% of the cost.
- KCB loan base rate is 13% per annum and a negotiation fee of 3%
- An active account with any business institution where business proceeds are remitted for at least 3 months
- Proforma invoice from boda boda and tuk-tuk dealers.
- Valid driving license of the rider/driver
- You must demonstrate your ability to repay the loan.
- Guarantee by KCB account holder where a Logbook is held on simple deposit
- Where a joint registration is done for the log book, a guarantor is not required
- 6 months ’KCB banking history or 3 months’ group savings.
4. Progressive Credit
Progressive Credit is a registered non-deposit-taking Microfinance institution in Kenya that has been in operation since October 2011. Its headquarters is located at Flamingo Towers, 2nd & 7th Floor, Mara Road, Nairobi and they have 23 branches spread across the country.
They offer loans boda boda loans to riders who want to acquire motorbikes while making payments in instalments. Our repayment schedule is flexible to suit both customers willing to pay weekly or daily with a flexible period of up to 24 months!
Additionally, they have a wide range of motorcycle models including but not limited to: TVS, Boxer, Honda, Skygo, Captain, Ranger, Haojin, and Haojue
- Flexible Repayment Schedule of up to 24 months and customers can pay weekly or daily.
- Access to mobile loans on the Nawiri App
- Life insurance for rider
- Original ID
- 1 Guarantor
- Customer KRA PIN certificate
How to contact Progressive Credit: Call or WhatsApp +254 789 796 477
5. Mwananchi Credit
Mwananchi Credit Limited is a leading microfinance institution in Kenya that provides tailor-made financial solutions to individuals and businesses. The company was founded in 2010 and has since grown to become a reputable lender in the country, with a focus on providing affordable credit facilities to individuals, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and corporate clients.
Mwananchi Credit’s Boda Boda loan is intended to help riders who cannot afford to raise full capital for the purchase of Boda Boda. The loan is accessible to both existing Boda Boda riders and those who wish to start their own Boda Boda businesses.
- Interest Rate: 3.5% per month.
- Processing Fee of 4%
- Application Fee: KES 500 (Non-refundable)
- CRB Fees: KES 300
- Comprehensive Insurance Fee: KES 7,600 (Strictly by Shimin Insurance Agency)
- Tracking Fee: KES 10,000 and Credit Life Insurance: 1%
- Loan repayment term: Maximum of 18 Months. You can either pay on a daily or weekly basis via MPESA Playbill Number.
- Colored Passport Photo.
- Copy of National ID.
- Copy of KRA Pin.
- A Six Months M-Pesa Statement – Should be Certified
- Three Guarantors (Provide ID copies, one guarantor to be a relative).
- Client Contribution KES.15,000.
6. Pioneer Credit
Pioneer Credit Limited Kenya is a Credit Only Micro Finance Institution based in Nairobi. Pioneer Credit has a service known as My Boda Boda Loan which provides loans towards the purchase of motorbikes. The loan is repayable within a period of 12-15 months either on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
- Friendly financing terms – Pioneer Credit will finance up to 80% of the cost of the motorbike from selected dealers while the customer is to meet 20% of the cost.
- Repayment period of up to a maximum of 12 -15 months depending on the cost of the motorbike.
- A copy of your National ID card,
- Driving license
- KRA Pin certificate
- Mpesa Statements for the last 3 months
- Three guarantors (provide ID copies)
- Deposit 20% of the total cost of the motorbike.
How to contact Pioneer Credit Limited Kenya: Call 0701 777000
7. Bimas Kenya Limited
Bimas Kenya Limited is a microfinance institution providing both financial and technical assistance to people in a move to enhance the creation of wealth in Kenya. Its headquarters is located in Embu and has a total of 38 branches spread across 18 counties.
They offer asset financings such as boda boda loans, tuk-tuk loans, car loans, and other loans such as biashara, investment, etc. Aspiring entrepreneurs who want to start a boda boda business can get a boost from their boda boda loan products. Here are the key features of their loans
- It is self-securing hence no additional security is required.
- Flexible Collateral requirements
- Extended flexible repayment period.
- Free insurance and tracking for the period of the loan
- For the sake of the motorbike, you get the motorbike the same day
- Maximum loan amount of KES. 200,000 is given
- Repayment period of an upto maximum of 18 months depending on the cost of the motorbike.
- A mandatory commitment fee of KES. 14,000 of the first deposit
- Daily repayment of Kes. 380 or weekly in advance.
- Standard instalment amount and with one week claim settlement.
How to Contact Bimas Kenya Limited: Call 0701 111 700.
8. Ndege Chai Sacco
Ndege Chai is a financial institution established and registered in 1978. The SACCO is a deposit-taking (DT)cooperative society and is licensed and regulated by SASRA (Sacco Societies Regulatory Authority). The Sacco has its headquarters at Ndege Chai Building, Kericho, and has 7 branches including Kericho, Naivasha, Konoin, and Silibwet.
- Product to be insured
- The repayment period is 18 months
- The interest rate is 14% p.a.-reducing the balance
- Has to be guaranteed by 4 guarantors
- The logbook is to be retained by the financier until clearance of the loan
- Loan to be classified as asset finance
- Member to contribute Kshs 15,000 of the cost of the motorcycle.
- Motorbikes will be disbursed on a first-come first-served basis.
- Copy of National ID
- 4 Guarantors are needed (provide ID copies)
- The customer contributes Kshs 15,000 of the cost of the motorcycle.
How to contact Ndege Chai: Call (+254)052-2030121, 052-2030592, 020-8031759 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Sacco Limited provides a boda-boda loan product meant for people in the boda boda business to boost their enterprise through either acquisition of a boda boda or for maintaining an existing motorbike.
The Sacco headquarters is in Meru and they have branches in Nkubu, Nairobi, Timau, Kibirichia, Kinoro, etc.
- Original and copy of national ID or Passport
- Passport-size photograph (taken at the branch)
How to contact Capital Sacco: Call 0708 843 287 or 0708 843 288
10. JoyInc Solutions Limited
JoyInc Solutions Limited provides easy access to loans/credit to unbanked, low-income earners who have little or no access to traditional financial services. It has its headquarters at Dune Plaza, Kangundo Road, Nairobi, and has a branch in Rongai (Brisma Towers)
- Zero deposit (no deposit required)
- A Maximum of 24 months Loan term
- Insurance for the loan period provided
- Asset fully financed by JoyInc Solutions Limited
- Protective gear provided
- They offer a short processing period for loans
- Applicant’s 2 Passport photos
- Applicant’s Copy of National ID
- Copy of Driving License
- Copy of KRA PIN
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Next of KIN ID copy and 2 passport photos
- 2 Guarantors ID Copies & KRA Pin Certificate or Driving License
- Application Fee Ksh.500 (Non-Refundable)
How to contact JoyInc Solutions Limited: Call +2514 700 060 441
Select Your Preferred Loans Provider
Boda boda loans have made it easier for many people in Kenya to own their own motorcycles and earn a living through transportation services. The ten providers of boda boda loans in Kenya highlighted in this article are easily accessible and offer flexible repayment periods. Compare their key features to choose the one that offers favorable terms and conditions.
If you are a young aspiring rider looking for financing to buy a motorcycle, you should consider approaching these providers for financial assistance.